The Old Firehouse

1953 marked the opening of a new firehouse (now the Town Community Center at Berwyn Road and 57th Avenue) and the old firehouse that stood next door was demolished. The old firehouse had served the Town since 1924.

1953 also marked the year that the Department received their first Class-A pumper, a 1953 GMC with a 750 GPM pump.

Tragedy struck again on July 12, 1956 when John Leyh was returning from an auto accident in his own vehicle (a common practice at the time) and lost control, striking a tree in Beltsville. The death of John Leyh resulted in the Department prohibiting the use of personal vehicles for emergency calls