Attention Interested and Prospective Live-In Members
Below you will find some highlights of the Berwyn Heights Volunteer Fire Department Live-In program.
- Live-ins respond to emergencies on the busiest Truck and Rescue Squad in Prince George’s County. Both units are also some of the busiest in the country.
- All live-ins reside at the station free of charge.
- Uniforms are provided to all members for free.
- Tuition Reimbursement for all members.
- Many Live-in members have obtained careers with both Local and Non-Local Career Fire Departments.
- We provide an individual room furnished with a bed, mattress, loft, closet, dresser, and shelf.
- Live-in members are also provided a refrigerator (typically 1 is shared by 3 to 4 live-in members) and an individual pantry for food storage.
- They have access to two full kitchens.
- We provide washers, dryers, and laundry detergent.
- All members have free access to Wi-Fi
- All members have free access to a copier, printer, scanner.
- All members have access to the station training room to study or do homework.
- There is a University of Maryland Bus stop in front of the station.
- We have a Metro Rail station 1/4 mile from the station.
- Live-in members may park their vehicles at the station
Live-in members are expected to be more active within the department because they live here free of charge. Live-in members gain fire department experience exponentially faster than most other members because of the amount of exposure to different incidents they get on a daily basis.
Our department actively drills at the company level, often daily, and all members have access to free training through the Maryland Fire Rescue Institute.
Live-in members who go to school will be provided time to do their school work and study as needed.